Interim Federal Health Program
IFHP Program: IFHP Outline of Services – What does the IFHP cover?
Coverage through the IFHP includes:
Basic coverage (similar to health-care coverage provided by provincial/territorial health insurance plans)
- in-patient and out-patient hospital services
- services provided by medical doctors, registered nurses and other health-care professionals licensed in Canada, including pre- and post-natal care
- laboratory, diagnostic and ambulance services
Supplemental coverage (similar to the coverage provided to social assistance recipients by provincial and territorial governments)
- limited dental and vision care
- home care and long-term care
- services provided by allied health-care practitioners including clinical psychologists, occupational therapists, speech language therapists, physiotherapists
- assistive devices, medical supplies and equipment, including:
- orthopedic and prosthetic equipment
- mobility aids
- hearing aids
- diabetic supplies
- incontinence supplies
- oxygen equipment
Prescription drug coverage
- most prescription medications and other products listed on provincial/territorial public drug plan formularies. Please note that certain products are excluded under the IFHP.
Coverage for the Immigration Medical Exam (IME)
- for most categories of beneficiaries, the IFHP also covers the cost of one IME and IME-related diagnostic tests required under the Immigration Refugee Protection Act
The benefits covered by the Interim Federal Health Program are subject to certain limits and prescribed maximum dollar amounts. For more details, please consult the IFHP benefit grids available online at http://www.medavie.bluecross.ca/healthprofessionals.
The IFHP does not cover services or products that a person may claim under a private insurance plan.